The Montgomerie, Carton House, Ireland
Dating back to the 17th century, Carton House was formerly the ancestral home of the Fitzgeralds, Earls of Kildare. The “Montgomerie” is the second of two European Golf Design courses on the site, the first being the O’Meara Course which opened for play in July 2002. Located within an open parkland setting the course design is heavily strategic in nature and has a very traditional feel. The course is characterised by its steep faced, penal bunkering and dramatic swales and contouring on and around the greens.
“This is a unique project and I am privileged to be associated with it. You can’t call it a links course, but it plays like a links and has all the characteristics of a links.”
- Winner of “Best New Design of the Year 2004” Award – Golf World, January 2005.
- Ranked 10th in Ireland by US Golfers Digest magazine – April 2005.
- Hosted the 2005 & 2006 Nissan Irish Open.
- Hosted the 2004 AIB Irish Amateur Open Championship.
- Hosted the 2010 Handa Irish Senior’s Open.
- Host to 2013 Irish Open.
Carton House Hotel
Course: 18 Holes
Length: 7300 yards